Ørsted has decided to go modular ordering 5x Just Catch carbon capture plants. Understand how the third generation of Just CatchTM makes a difference as the Danish authorities drive forward their climate ambitions.
We are entering where it all happens. At the end of the open landscape of the carbon capture forerunner, Aker Carbon Capture, sits a polite but determined fellow who has the product responsibility for the Aker Carbon Capture product range. – Although we receive much of the feedback from our customers and projects, and develop our product roadmaps here at the headquarter in Oslo, the design is a joint effort with our teams here in Europe and in India, says Head of Products at Aker Carbon Capture, Zubin Mistry. He is then referring to the approximately 70 Indian engineers that Aker Carbon Capture draw on to develop and deliver products, projects and solutions from the Aker Powergas company in Mumbai.
- Smaller footprint – 19m by 25m for the capture plant
- Taking operating space to the next level – 30% improvement in operating space
- Fewer modules
- Core processes – transportable on road
- Easy to install – 15% reduction in time at site for installation, hook-up and commissioning
- Short delivery time – less than 24 months – enabled by mass production principles
Recently Aker Carbon Capture launched its 3. generation Just CatchTM and we are here to talk to the designer behind it and understand how the product has developed over the years. – The product, Just CatchTM, existed long before I joined the company and was based on some key principles around modularization, ease of transportation on road and not to forget, cost reduction, Zubin Mistry explains. On one of the posters behind him is the Technology Center Mongstad (TCM), which ACC designed and delivered already 2012. He turns to the poster: – TCM, the world’s most advanced carbon capture test centre on the west coast of Norway, with a capture capacity of 80,000tpa. In the first generation of Just CatchTM, we reduced the cost and the size compared to TCM with more than 90%, he explains. No wonder one of the streets at the test centre is named “Akersgaten” (Aker Street).
But for Just CatchTM the journey did not stop there. Aker continued to develop the product, and the first generation was sold to Twence, a waste-to-energy company in the Netherlands. – We are entering the final instalment phases as we speak, Zubin Mistry explains. Late 2023, we will deliver the plant which will deliver 100,000 tons of CO2 per year. We want to know what has changed and been improved over the first, second and now third generation of the Just CatchTM product. Zubin smiles before continuing.
– The third generation Just CatchTM is both bigger and smaller – a catch phrase that marketing came up with, he admits – but continues – but it is true. I wanted to continue to build new functionality into the design, but also address some of the concerns we have from people in the operations that space is important – inside. That is why we have managed to shrink the footprint while improving the utilization of the internal space of our modular plant, says Zubin Mistry. – I think this product is really a good example where we benefit from being one of the few companies that are actually delivering carbon capture plants, he says. Referring then to the fact that some of the modularity has been improved because the serial production facility now have shown what they are capable of. At the same time, the “lego-like” building blocks of the Just CatchTM (3.gen) now joins together making the design more spacious inside. – We listen to our customers and that is why the 3. gen also is more energy efficient, he says referring to the fact that the ACC Energy SaverTM now comes as a standard with the product.
As we head out from Aker Carbon Capture through the crowded landscapes, we remember a final question that we wanted to ask Zubin Mistry. What will the 4.gen Just Catch look like? He stops and thinks. – I should probably not share it, but can at least say that our Just CatchTM range will continue to grow, becoming both more industry aligned and bigger, he says before heading out the door. There is more to come from Aker Carbon Capture in the future, no doubt.