Carbon capture is a key measure to reduce global CO₂ emissions. Implementing carbon capture across industries, in combination with renewables and energy efficiency, is essential to meet the Paris Agreement targets.
As we are pursuing our mission, our business conduct must be sustainable and responsible. We seek guidance by the ten principles of UN Global Compact and we will actively contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
With the mission of Aker Carbon Capture of enabling emission free industries and energy solutions through carbon capture, it is essential to manage material aspects, with an extra emphasis on environment. This is secured through making sustainability an integrated part of the company strategy which is operationalized through the business processes.
Engagement with our stakeholders is an essential part of our approach. Aker Carbon Capture shall transparently engage and communicate with our stakeholders and report on performance against forward-looking targets, strategic priorities, challenges, and achievements. Based on sustainability and climate risk and materiality analysis, changes in legal requirements and global norms and take into account the views of key stakeholders.
We will continue to adhere to the highest standards related to business conduct, with integrity, respecting the laws, cultures, dignity and rights of individuals in all the countries where we operate. Our commitment to sustainability includes our external operations, such as those related to our suppliers and partners, as well as our internal operations.
The Board of Directors (BoD) is the highest authority that oversees and safeguards the company’s sustainability (environmental, social, and governance – ESG) work. Read more about our board members here:
Aker Carbon Capture provides solutions for decarbonization so that we go from insight of the need to mitigate climate change to action. A key enabler for meeting our “10 in 25” ambition on carbon capture is active partnerships across the value chain and ecosystem. Aker Carbon Capture has already established a number of these collaborations to bring down barriers and accelerate developments, including;
- Participant in UN Global Compact
- Membership in Global CCS Institute
- Membership in Polyteknisk Forening, a network for promotion of science-based and sustainable development
- Collaboration with Bellona, a Norwegian environmental NGO
- Membership in Norsk Industri
As we scale up our activities, we will do so in a way that builds resilience for the future. Being in business to combat climate change, we pay special attention to driving down our own footprint while maximizing the positive contribution through carbon capture solutions. As we do so:
- We commit to report on scope 1/2/3 emissions and continuously reduce emission towards net zero
- We commit to maintain best-in-class HSE properties and continue to develop our high performing technology
- We commit to reduce waste and continue the transition to circularity
- We commit to drive the change in the supply chain through collaboration on ESG targets
Our contribution to the SDGs
The UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) form a key part of the framework for our long term strategic processes. All 17 goals are of relevance to our business activities, however we have identified a set of specific goals as material to our operations. These goals cover areas where we believe our company can have the greatest impact.
We will drive forward our sustainability program in the areas of:
Reducing Carbon Emissions
- Progressing towards ‘10 in 25’
- Introducing framework to identify scope 1/2/3 footprint reduction initiatives
- Technology investment for continued
Enabling Green Industries
- Collaboration with partners and suppliers on ESG aspects
- Transition to circularity
Responsible and purpose-driven business conduct
- Maintain and strengthen a diverse workforce as the company grows
- Strengthen employee training programs with a wider set of ESG topics